Minnie Gallman has photographed the historic Nash-Hooper House’s gardens in Hillsborough for the Smithsonian’s Archives of American Gardens. This program began in the 1920s when the Garden Club of America began collecting images and slides of notable American gardens. In 1992, the collection was donated to the Smithsonian.
The Nash-Hooper House was built circa 1772 by General Francis Nash, a commander of the North Carolina Brigade. In 1782, William Hooper, who signed the Declaration of Independence, acquired the property. The gardens include a gazebo, numerous plantings, and a collection of weathervanes. The current owners invited Minnie to their 4th of July celebration to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the house and to follow a tradition begun by William Hooper—to drink a toast to George Washington.